Check it out! Another sheet of hybrid rudiments has been added to the Hybrid Rudiments page.
Hybrid Rudiments – Sheet 12 (all about that Para-pa-diddle)
- Para-pa-diddle – a Paradiddle with an extra single stroke before the double stroke; usually played in 5/8 or as quintuplets
- Flammed Para-pa-diddle – a Para-pa-diddle with a flam on the first note of each; also called “Flam Parapadiddle”
- Flow Five – a Para-pa-diddle with a flam on the fourth note; usually played in 5/8 or as quintuplets
- Cheese Para-pa-diddle – a Para-pa-diddle with Cheese on the first note of each; played in 5/8 or as quintuplets
- Cheese Flow Five – a Flow Five with Cheese on the first note; can be played in 5/8 or as quintuplets
A new hybrid rudiments sheet (#11) has been added to the Hybrid Rudiments page. Hybrid’s include Fufives, Swiss Grinders, Ghost Flams, Inverted Cheese Flam Tap and Macs. Enjoy the challenge and Happy Drumming!
Just a quick update. I added another hybrid rudiments sheet (sheet#10) to the Hybrid Rudiments page. Enjoy the challenge and Happy Drumming!
Just kidding! Nothing wicked, just something new.
I’ve added a few triplet grid variations to the 4-2-1 Grid page. Also, a new hybrid rudiment sheet was added that’s focused on Book Reports. Find it at the bottom of the Hybrid Rudiments page. Happy drumming!
My self-published book “Rudimental Solos for Snare Drum for the Advanced Drummer” is once again available for purchase. The book contains eight original solos for snare drum and has been expanded to include five traditional rudimental solos every snare player should know. Print version is $12.95 and the e-book is just $7.00.
Greetings all! I’ve added 4 more sheets to the Hybrid Rudiments page. This round includes:
Hybrid Rudiments – Sheet 6 (a bit of fun with flams)
- Flama-Singles – a group of four single strokes with a flam on the first note
- Flam-a-Flam – a group of three single strokes with flams on the first and third notes
- Flamacue-Diddle – a Flam Paradiddle combined with a Flamacue by accenting the second note of each
- Flama Chuck – a Pataflafla with an extra flam on the third note
- Flaflam Drag – a Paradiddle with the first note flammed, the second note diddled and an accented flam on the fourth note
Hybrid Rudiments – Sheet 7
- Zigiddy Bops – an Alternating Single Stroke Three with an accented drag/double stroke on the first note of each
- Parafladdle – a Paradiddle with an accented flam on the third note; similar to a Choo Choo; also called a Tapafladdle
- Flama Chucka Diddle – a Flama Chuck played with Paradiddle sticking
- Fuzz Taps – a Flam Tap where the primary stroke of the flam is a buzz/crush
- Churruckitahs – a Flamacue-Diddle with Cheese on the first flam; also called Cheeseacue-Diddle, Cheese Flamacue Diddle
Hybrid Rudiments – Sheet 8
- Flam Drag-a-poo – Flama-Singles with drags/double strokes on the second and fourth notes
- Flammed 3-2-1 – a Reverse Shirley Murphy with a flam on the first note of each, sticked following the format 3-2-1
- Chatachichi – a Paradiddle with flams on the first, second and third notes followed by another flam on the same hand
- Flam Stutters – a group of three notes, sticked RLL or LRR, with Cheese on the first note
- Flam Five – a Five Stroke Roll with a flam on the first note; usually played with the Flam Accent sticking
Hybrid Rudiments – Sheet 9 (in this one, the first two build on one another, as do the last three)
- Eggbeaters – a triple stroke followed by a double stroke; played as quintuplets or in 5/8; also called “Fyvie Five”
- Chinese Fives – an Eggbeater with the first three notes played as 16th note triplets and the last two played as 16th notes
- Deviled Eggs – a triple stroke then two double strokes, with the first note accented; played as septuplets or in 7/8
- Slevens – Deviled Eggs with a flam on the first note; played as septuplets or in 7/8; also called “Flam Deviled Eggs”
- Flam Devils – Slevens with additional flams on the fourth and sixth notes; played as septuplets or in 7/8
Each sheet is available for free download on the Hybrid Rudiments page. And if you like what you see at Drummin’ Around and think others would too, please remember to share on your favorite social media outlet. Thanks for visiting!
I’ve just added three additional downloads to the Hybrid Rudiments page. These include:
- Cupcakes – a Flamacue Drag with accented flams on the first and second notes
- Opies – a five note pattern, sticked RLLRL or LRRLR, with a flam on the fifth note of each
- Parabuzzle – a Paradiddle with the fourth note buzzed/crushed
- Kramer – a Pataflafla with cheese on the fourth note
- Flyz – two Swiss Army Triplets, with the second note of each buzzed/crushed, followed by a Flam Tap
- Didda-let – a single accented stroke followed by a double stroke; a common variation reverses the order
- Dragateenth – a group of four 16th notes played as alternating strokes with the first note diddled (double stroke/drag)
- Side Flamadiddle – a four note grouping sticked RLLL or LRRR with a flam on the first note of each
- Four Note Swiss Army Triplet – a Swiss Army Triplet with an extra note on the same hand after the flam
- Cheese-Ka – a Four Note Swiss Army Triplet with an accent on the fourth note; also called “Aaron Swiss”
- Gallops – a Didda-let with a flam on the second note; when played properly this produces a “galloping” sound
- Puguda – a Didda-let followed by an accented note
- Shirley Murphy – a single stroke + double stroke + triple stroke; also called “1-2-3”, “Murphs”, “Murfs” or “Shirley Murphies”
- Pataflaka – a Cheese-Ka with an extra flam on the fourth note
- Side Cheeseadiddle – a Side Flamadiddle with cheese on the first flam of each
Remember, if you like what you see please share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or any other social media. Thanks for visiting!
I’ve added another sheet free to download here.
Hybrid Rudiments – Sheet 2 includes:
- One Handed Flam Drag
- Grandpas (you knew it was coming)
- Diddle Herta
- Cheese Paradiddle
If you like what you see please share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or any other social media. Thanks for visiting!
I’ve added a new page and new downloadable resources covering the vast world of Hybrid Rudiments. Additional resources will be added to this page throughout the year.
Hybrid rudiments are the combining of two or more rudiments to create a new rudiment or rudiment pattern. This is not always the case as there are instances of hybrids containing only one rudiment, but have become universally recognized and adopted as a common rudiment pattern. Since there are an infinite number of combinations and stickings, there is no official list of hybrid rudiments, and new hybrids are no doubt created almost daily. Even the names can vary for the same hybrid. There are currently 500+ more widely accepted hybrid rudiments.
The first resource includes the hybrids Hertas, Grandmas, Choo-Choo, Alternated Pataflafla and Cheese.